Tri County Report For March 9th, 2018

State Police in Lawrence County are investigating the death of an Ellwood City man. According to police the body of 79 year old Frederick Suhre was found outside of his Lookout Avenue home around 7:30 yesterday morning.  Investigators say no foul play is suspected. The investigation is ongoing.

A preliminary hearing for two homicide suspects has been rescheduled for later this month. According to the New Castle News 17 year old Caden Popovich and 17 year old Dohnovin Miller will have their preliminary hearing take place in Courtroom one of the Lawrence County Courthouse, and is open to the public. The teens are being tried as adults in the shooting deaths of 19 year old Cameron Martwinski and 19 year old Justin Luca back on February 25th. Senior district judge Dave Rishel will preside over the hearing.

Investigators say they’ve made an arrest in an intense Butler house fire from last year.  State police say an anonymous tip led them to Robert Wilhelm who, in turn, told them everything.  State police say the fire was meant to coverup the theft of a safe full of drug money taken from the South Street home.  Wilhelm and William Gold are facing charges for the fire.

A New Castle man faces a number of charges after being arrested by the City’s Narcotics Unit and the Lawrence County District Attorney’s Special Investigation Unit. According to the department’s Facebook page, Following a search of a Pin Oak Drive residence Wednesday, Sanjuan ALLEN charged with possession with the intent to deliver a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Authorities found crack cocaine, marijuana, along with cash and two loaded handguns. The investigation is continuing.

An Evans City man faces charges following an incident in Forward Township Wednesday. State Police in Butler County have charged 45 year old Aaron Baysek with aggravated assault. Police said they were called to a home in Forward Township concerning a man armed with a bladed weapon.  Police found the victims dog had a laceration to its throat and was dead. The victims were not injured as the investigation is continuing.

Las Vegas Sands Corp. is selling its Pennsylvania casino to an American Indian tribe from Alabama for $1.3 billion. Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem opened in 2009 on the site of Bethlehem Steel’s former headquarters plant. The casino raked in 550 million dollars in slots and and table game revenue, second among Pennsylvania’s 12 casinos — the casino is the smallest in Sands’ portfolio, which includes The Venetian in Las Vegas. The sale has to be approved by the Pennsylvania gaming Control Board which could take up to a year to finalize.

Authorities are accusing a Mercer Borough woman of failing to protect her four-month-old daughter who doctors say suffered multiple rib fractures last year. 21 year old Kayla Buchanan, is charged with child endangering and recklessly endangering another person. State police in Mercer County report Buchanan’s infant daughter was taken to UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in August of last year, where doctors found the child had 22 rib fractures in various stages of healing. Buchanan’s bond was set at five thousand dollars.  The girl’s father, 24-year-old Michael Scott Day,has been held for common pleas court. He faces seven counts including aggravated assault, child endangering and harassment.

Norwin School District officials say there will be class Friday after a bomb threat cancelled Thursday’s after school activities.  In a statement, administrators say Norwin High was searched Thursday and ruled safe.  The district says it is offering one-thousand dollars for information leading to the arrest of whoever is writing threats on school property.

An inmate at Allegheny County Jail is charged in the Wednesday fire that hurt two corrections officers.  Investigators say 29-year-old Andrew Powell started the fire with contraband materials in his cell in Pod 6D around 3:20 p.m. Wednesday.  All 80 inmates in the pod had to be evacuated.  A sergeant and a corrections officer were both treated and released from the hospital for smoke inhalation.